Monday, May 23, 2022

Who pays for care?

Even though, as a carer, you may be able to receive financial support, there are some costs you and the person you care for may have to pay.

As a carer, you will not be charged for services provided to the person you are caring for.

Charging policies may apply for things such as:

  • paying for assistance and support at home
  • care home costs

Charging for care services can also differ depending on where you and the person you care for lives.

There are also different ways that charging for care services are worked out.

The person you care for is likely to be asked questions about their money as part of a financial assessment.

This can include income, savings and assets. As a carer you can be charged for services and therefore you can be asked questions about your finances.

Costs and charging will vary, but all social services must make sure that you are not charged more than is practical for you to pay. Ask your local council about its charging policy.

Financial assessment

If your local authority arranges care for you, they will take your income, your assets (for example your house) and savings into account.

This financial assessment could mean that you will have to contribute to the costs of some, or all, of the services.

Your local authority should explain their charging policy after an assessment and the reasons for any charges.

Your care worker is the best person to speak to regarding benefits you may receive and charges you may have to pay.

Department of Health Guidance

Previous articleAssessments for carers
Next articleBlue Badge Parking
- Advertisment -

Most Popular