Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Getting a passport

You will need a full ten year passport if you want to travel abroad, even if it is for just one day.

It must also be valid throughout the whole of your trip.

You can get a passport application form from your post office or you can complete it online.

Applying for a passport online

You can complete the online application online at the UK Passport Service (UKPS) website.

Once you have completed and submitted the online form, it will be returned to you to sign and date.

You will then need to enclose the right photos, documents and fee, before returning it to the UKPS for processing.

If you need assistance when completing the form there is a national advice line which is open 24 hours, seven days a week.
Passport adviceline: 0870 521 0410
Textphone number: 0870 240 8090
Application form request hotline: 0901 4700 110

Help on the high street

The UKPS has over 2,000 ‘High Street Partners’ throughout the UK – mainly post offices.

For a small fee, which is in addition to the cost of the passport, they will forward all the relevant paperwork, plus your payment for the passport direct to UKPS.

Help at the Passport Office

There are seven regional Passport Offices in the UK. They can provide extra assistance when contacted.

A brief guide on applying for a passport if you have special requirements is available to download in PDF format.

The Passport Office produces a range of leaflets in Braille, audiotape and large print formats. These include:

  • passports for children
  • what to do if your passport is lost or stolen

If you are a blind or partially sighted person

The passport application form is available in large print. Braille, large print and audiotape formats are available to assist you in the completion of the passport application form. You may also request forms and literature in large print from your Post Office.

You can also request to have a Braille sticker added to your passport to help you identify it by checking the relevant box on the application form.

If you are deaf or hearing impaired person

Each office has staff trained in sign language to help you complete your application form and answer any questions you may have.

All public counters have screens and induction loops for your assistance. Alternatively, you can ask a member of staff to speak to you in a quiet room.

There is also a national textphone and Typetalk service available.
Textphone number: 0870 240 8090
Typetalk number: 18001 0870 521 0410

If you are a wheelchair-user

All regional Passport Offices have wheelchair access and accessible toilets. (If you require an accessible toilet in the Belfast Passport Office, please contact this office beforehand.)

When to apply for a visa

You may need a visa to visit some countries. Check with the consulate of the country you will be travelling to or with your travel agent.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular