GOOD NEWS if you get the Higher Rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement you can apply for an exemption certificate.

You can get an application form from:

the Disability Living Allowance Unit,
Warbreck House,
Blackpool FY2 0UE,
tel: 08457 123456.

If you are in receipt of the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement you can obtain an application form from:
the War Pensions Directorate,
North Fylde Central Office,
FY5 3TA,
tel: 0800 169 2277.

You need to enclose your exemption certificate along with other relevant documents when applying for an exempt licence disc.

Exemption is limited to one vehicle, at any one time, which must be registered in the name of the beneficiary.

You don’t need to be in the vehicle every occasion that it is used, but the vehicle must be in use on your behalf, for example, doing your shopping, collecting a prescription, changing library books.

WARNING: You may lose exemption if the car is driven for ordinary day-to-day purposes by a non-eligible person.